Please join us for a wonderful beekeeping taster day at our beautiful well-equipped private Training Apiary … this event will be held at our well-equipped Training Apiary, off Henfold Lane, near Dorking, Surrey.
(detailed location of venue will be provided upon enrollment)
The day will start at 9:30am with a cup of tea/coffee and an informal get to know you from our master beekeepers, local experts and some newly qualified members of our club. We plan to finish around 4:00pm but will loiter for a while to answer any individual questions that the day may raise.
Our team of experienced beekeepers will give you a great taste of what is involved in being a beekeeper, taking you through health & safety risks, the beekeeping year, costs and equipment needed, the law and swarming. We will start in the classroom with informal presentations then move into the apiary where you will see a demonstration of a real swarm (bee suits provided by us are to be worn). We will then stop for a ploughman’s lunch before returning back into the apiary where you will get assigned to a small group supervised by one of our experts who will get you up close to the bees, let you handle frames and hopefully find the queen. Whilst with the bees an individual photo will be taken to keep as memento of the day, (downloadable from our website).
Around 2:45pm we will return to the clubhouse where we will give various practical demonstrations including honey tasting, mead tasting, cake and biscuit tasting and candle making.
We will provide full protective equipment, you just need to bring some wellies to protect your ankles, a baseball cap is also a good idea to wear under the beekeeping veil as this helps to keep the veil off your face.
The cost for the day is £65 (£32 for an accompanied child) which includes a buffet lunch, refreshments, a jar of honey originating from the training apiary and a beekeeper’s hive tool as a souvenir of your visit.
To register a place or places on the Beekeepng Taster Day Click Here to open a booking form.
The program for the day will include presentation and demonstration sessions that cover the many different aspects of beekeeping, including:
• Illustrated presentations on:
• Choosing an Apiary Site.
• Stings and First Aid.
• What is a Bee Hive?
• A Beekeeping Year.
• Beekeepers and the Law.
• How Much Does it Cost?
• Benefits of Joining Reigate Beekeepers.
• Practical indoor sessions demonstrating:
• How a Hive Works.
• How Honey is Extracted.
• Looking at the Range of Possible Hive Products.
• Frame Making.
• Practical Apiary sessions, for which:
• Protective bee suits will be provided.
• We request that you bring along your wellies.
• You should wear a long-sleeved top and stout trousers.
• A base ball cap is also useful to bring.
• Allowing hands-on involvement in …
• Getting suited & booted correctly.
• Lighting Smokers … and putting them out.
• Seeing equipment needed for regular manipulations.
• Handling hive frames and boxes.
• Seeing Brood in all stages, capped honey and stores.
• Seeing how various components of a hive work.
• Refreshments available throughout the day.
• Buffet Lunch provided.
• Souvenirs of your day to take away …
• a Jar of Reigate Beekeepers Honey
• a Beekeepers Hive Tool (actual tool may differ from style shown)
• a Photograph of yourself wearing a Bee Keeping Suit.
To register for a place or places at our Beekeeping Taster Day, Click Here to open a booking form.
… here are some more images captured during previous Taster Days.