Please join us for a wonderful beekeeping taster day at our beautiful well-equipped private Training Apiary near Holmwood, Surrey.
(detailed location of venue will be provided upon enrollment)
Course commences at 9:30am and closes around 4pm
The day starts with refreshments and an informal ‘get to know you’ from our master beekeepers, local experts and some newly qualified members of our club.
Our team of experienced beekeepers will give you a great taste of what is involved in being a beekeeper, taking you through health & safety risks, the beekeeping year, costs and equipment needed, the law and swarming.
Our course begins in the classroom with informal presentations, then out into the Apiary where you will see a demonstration of a real swarm (bee suits provided by us are to be worn). We will then stop for lunch before returning back into the apiary where,under supervision you will get up close to the bees, handle the frames and hopefully find the queen. In the afternoon we will return to the classroom for various practical demonstrations including honey tasting, mead tasting, cake and biscuit tasting and candle making. Although we plan to finish around 4:00pm we will allow time afterwards to answer any additional questions that the day may raise.
We will provide full protective equipment, you just need to bring some wellies to protect your ankles, and a baseball cap for added protection (it’s a good idea to wear under the beekeeping veil to help keep the veil off your face).
The cost for the day is £65 (£32 for an accompanied 13yr to 17yr child) which includes:
- A buffet ploughman’s lunch
- A jar of honey originating from the training apiary
- A beekeeper’s hive tool as a souvenir of your visit … and
- Bring your camera and we will make sure you eave with a photo of yourself with the bees,
To register a place or places on the Beekeepng Taster Day Click Here to open a booking form.
The program for the day will include presentation and demonstration sessions that cover the many different aspects of beekeeping, including:
• Illustrated presentations on:
• Choosing an Apiary Site.
• Stings and First Aid.
• What is a Bee Hive?
• A Beekeeping Year.
• Beekeepers and the Law.
• How Much Does it Cost?
• Benefits of Joining Reigate Beekeepers.
• Practical indoor sessions demonstrating:
• How a Hive Works.
• How Honey is Extracted.
• Looking at the Range of Possible Hive Products.
• Frame Making.
• Practical Apiary sessions, for which:
• Protective bee suits will be provided.
• We request that you bring along your wellies.
• You should wear a long-sleeved top and stout trousers.
• A base ball cap is also useful to bring.
• Allowing hands-on involvement in …
• Getting suited & booted correctly.
• Lighting Smokers … and putting them out.
• Seeing equipment needed for regular manipulations.
• Handling hive frames and boxes.
• Seeing Brood in all stages, capped honey and stores.
• Seeing how various components of a hive work.
• Refreshments available throughout the day.
• Buffet Lunch provided.
• Souvenirs of your day to take away …
• a Jar of Reigate Beekeepers Honey
• a Beekeepers Hive Tool (actual tool may differ from style shown)
• a Photograph of yourself wearing a Bee Keeping Suit.
To register for a place or places at our Beekeeping Taster Day, Click Here to open a booking form.
… here are some more images captured during previous Taster Days.